1 Mediawiki plugin for Eclipse
As an alternative to mvs, this tool can
- Use SpecialExport to retrieve pages from a wiki
- Edit these pages in Eclipse
- Upload the pages.
- http://sourceforge.net/projects/plog4u/ (last update mid 2008)
Mediawiki rendering in java:
- Unfortunately, it seems that the tool isn't conflict aware: The page is just uploaded, overwriting other changes since the page has been downloaded.
- ":" is converted to "/", which means that User:Bjoern2 and User/Bjoern2 (while valid and distinct pages) are not distinguished by the tool.
3 Related posts
I've experimented a little with the Eclipse Wikipedia Editor - great stuff.
It seems as if it isn't conflict aware though: Changes on the wiki that happened since download seem to be overwritten.
Page names with ":" are converted to "/", but "User:A" and "User/A" are both valid mediawiki pages (and different). I can see the logic with converting ":" to "/", but the best solution may be to keep the ":", but add the "/" anyway, to give "User:/SomeUser". ("User:" is an invalid page name, as long as the namespace "User" exists. There are some further pagename issues, e.g. that "User:/" is a valid page name.)
Bjoern 16-Mar-2009 20:03 CET
Also posted to mailing list: http://groups.google.com/group/matheclipse/browse_thread/thread/6aadb95608610908
- Further complications if the namespace isn't registered: Then a page like Main: is valid.
- Note that e.g. Talk:/ and Talk:// etc are all the same page.
3.2 Response (Axel)
> first post to this list. > I've experimented a little with the Eclipse Wikipedia Editor - great > stuff.http://www.matheclipse.org/en/Eclipse_Wikipedia_Editor > Two quick comments: > It seems as if it isn't conflict aware: Changes on the wiki that > happened since download seem to be overwritten. Or have I somehow > misconfigured it?
No that's a problem. > Page names with ":" are converted to "/", but "User:A" and "User/A" > are both valid mediawiki pages (and different). I can see the logic > with converting ":" to "/", but the best solution may be to keep the > ":", but add the "/" anyway, to give "User:/SomeUser". ("User:" is an > invalid page name, as long as the namespace "User" exists. There are > some further pagename issues, e.g. that "User:/" is a valid page > name.)
The problem is that not all valid Wikipedia names are valid File/ Folder names: http://www.portfoliofaq.com/pfaq/FAQ00352.htm > The Eclipse Wikipedia Editor is great. I haven't seen (many) other > tools like that, and I really think the approach is very good. > Axel: Are you planning to develop it further?
In the long run maybe. But for the shorter timeframe I would like to concentrate more on http://matheclipse.org/en/Java_Wikipedia_API If someone else is interested to maintain the Eclipse plugin, I can of course help integrating some tools already defined in the Java Wikipedia API like for example:
- rewriting the download and querying functions to use: http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/api.php instead of the Wikipedia Special:Export feature http://code.google.com/p/gwtwiki/source/browse/trunk/info.bliki.wiki/.../api/query
- storing the downloaded texts in a local Derby database instead of using the file system: http://code.google.com/p/gwtwiki/source/browse/trunk/info.bliki.wiki/.../WikiDB.java
- using the newest Parser engine which supports parser functions