From Bjoern Hassler
ICTP Workshop 2007/Home
Please note that the present pages on the ICTP workshop were obtained from a mediawiki used during the workshop. There may be a number of links that go to missing pages, and other inconsistencies. Much of it is also very informal, and should be seen as workshop notes!
In December 2007, the ICTP-SDU (E. Canessa, C. Fonda and M. Zennaro, http://sdu.ictp.it/), together with B. Logofatu (CREDIS, Univ Bucharest, Romania) and Bjoern Hassler (CARET, Cambridge University, UK), organised a workshop on rich media technologies. The official workshop page is here http://sdu.ictp.it/richmedia/, and the official program page is here http://sdu.ictp.it/richmedia/program/index.html.
The workshop mission was to [...] guide scientists from developing countries to become acquainted with state-of-the-art, low cost and/or open source resources available for this purpose and thus help to reduce the digital and knowledge divides. Lecturers will familiarize participants with the most advanced techniques of Multimedia Webcasting for science dissemination and collaboration.
All present pages are based on materials created during the workshop (by workshop participants and lecturers). They were then edited into the present form by Bjoern Hassler. They give an unofficial overview of the workshop. However, "writing up a 10 day workshop is a bit of a feat, and so the present summary (due to the bias of the editor) gives a larger emphasis on the content production sessions run by Bjoern Hassler." Other content is included as best as possible to give a balanced overview of the workshop.
The content is organised into the following pages:
- ICTP Workshop 2007/Overview
- ICTP Workshop 2007/Tools
- ICTP Workshop 2007/Themes - gives a high-level overview of the themes discussed at the workshop, primarily to do with content production
- ICTP Workshop 2007/Events - gives a detailed overview by speakers and timetable, covering all strands of the workshop.
- ICTP Workshop 2007/Strands - reorganises the material thematically into strands and speakers
- ICTP Workshop 2007/Outcomes
- ICTP Workshop 2007/Useful Links
Workshop media is linked from the above pages as appropriate (see ICTP Workshop 2007/Events), but some highlights are here: (TO DO!)
- Participants contributions
- Thursday. Participants presented topics covered in the workshop. EyA recordings 6th Dec, 12pm
- Participant recorded lectures
- EyA recordings are linked from ICTP Workshop 2007/Themes and ICTP Workshop 2007/Strands
- Manual Audio and Slide Capture
- Automated Audio and Slide Capture
- Lecture browsing system
- Encoding Timebased Media
- Dynamic Range Compression
- Flash H.264
- Multiformat Media Delivery
- Web Design 4 Low Bandwidth
- Capturing a lecture
- Capturing a mathematics lecture
Comments and feedback can be sent to richmedia2007(at)googlegroups(dot)com, or to Bjoern.