As part of my work at CARET, I occasionally run copyright awareness courses. These cover basic issues around copyright (what is copyright? who is the owner of copyright?), as well as some more detailed issues around film and video issues, e.g. the ERA licenses. You might find the following links helpful:
- CDPA 1988. http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1988/UKpga_19880048_en_1.htm (cf. sections 34 and 35).
- The BUFVC: http://www.bufvc.ac.uk/
- Courses, including "Copyright Clearance for Print, Broadcast and Multimedia Production", http://www.bufvc.ac.uk/courses/course_details.html
- ERA - http://www.era.org.uk/FAQ.html
- Pdf booklet: http://www.era.org.uk/new%20ERA.pdf
- Guidelines for Fair Dealing in an Electronic Environment (1998), http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/services/elib/papers/pa/fair/intro.html
- Fair use project at Stanford: http://cyberlaw.stanford.edu/
- Richard McCracken (used to be at the OU, and used to run BUFVC course on copyright) usually has some good advice!
- Richard McCracken and Madeleine Gilbert: Buying and Clearing Rights – Print, broadcast and multimedia (1995).