Having spent the first week identifying and classifying access issues, the second week of the discussion was concerned with sharing ideas about possible solutions. As ever, participants were keen to share their experiences.
The discussion could be seperated into a number of threads, regarding:
- improving access to OER by providing training to potential content developers and users;
- technical issues around provision of appropriate ICT resources, such as:
- appropriate computers (necessary for accessing OER digitally);
- appropriate bandwidth and bandwidth management;
- wiki hosting and wiki content transformation (for instance for WikiEducator or Wikipedia);
- "hybrid" or "mixed-mode" information delivery (online/offline, desktop/handheld devices).
The record of the solutions discussion is distributed across the following chapters of this report:
- Solutions criteria, covering best practice recommendations for improving the accessibility of OER;
- Stories and solutions that showcase innovative approaches to increasing access to knowledge and learning;
- Case studies, in which participants presented more extensive analyses of some initiatives that extend access to knowledge and learning.