ICTP WS 2007/Workshop announcement
I am co-organising a workshop in Trieste, December 2007: http://sdu.ictp.it/richmedia/. The workshop seeks to "guide scientists from developing countries to become acquainted with state-of-the-art, low cost and/or open source resources available for [rich media webcasting] and thus help to reduce the digital and knowledge divides. Lecturers will familiarize participants with the most advanced techniques of Multimedia Webcasting for science dissemination and collaboration." A poster is available here http://sdu.ictp.it/richmedia/Poster_smr1838.pdf The workshop programme is available here http://sdu.ictp.it/richmedia/program/index.html (Registration is closed.)
At this workshop, I will be teaching a short course on multimedia production. Each course session is two hours long, and will start with a short amount of 'theory' (giving an overview of general activities in that area, and overall considerations). Most of the session will the be taken up by hands-on work.
A very tentative schedule for the course is this:
- Session 1
- The academic media landscape
- Principles of audio recording and editing
- Session 2
- Rich media delivery and bandwidth requirements
- Introduction to 'images'
- Session 3
- How podcasting works
- Creating enhanced podcasts
- Understanding workflows and server requirements
- Session 4
- An introduction to rights and licensing
- Understanding local requirements - getting started back at home
- Session 5
- Introduction to video - review of best practices for video streaming
Some elements of this course are likely to draw on themes from my Podcast Course M2007.