Blog/20120427 Mediawiki tweaks
We'd like some stuff for our ORBIT wiki.
Here is what we'd like:
- Hide some of the tabs ("Page","Talk","View Source") for people who aren't logged in to make the site look cleaner (see also here, but I can't get it to work)
- Create a way to reposition the title of a wiki page (so that a site menu / sub-site menu can go above it)
- being able to reformat the displayed title of subpages (i.e. instead of showing "BASEPAGENAME/SUBPAGENAME" the display should be reconfigurable e.g. to "BASEPAGENAME > SUBPAGENAME", or to just display "SUBPAGENAME").
- I've done some work on this about 3 years ago, see Mediawiki/TitleHere. So the solution to this could be a proper implementation of Mediawiki/TitleHere in conjunction with Extension:Vector.
- Create a collapsible menu system (so the wiki is more like a website), i.e. the item "Resources" in the left hand menu on http://orbit.educ.cam.ac.uk should have a collasible submenu. Wikipages should be able to 'decide' which submenu they would like to be shown.
- Tweak the ORBIT Vector Skin a bit (via css).
- We might want to have a dual licence badge on the ORBIT wiki as CC-By-SA and CC-By-NC.
Further down the line, we may want some way of creating additional navigation, e.g. "Prev" and "Next" within a set of subpages (or a set of pages tied together in some other way). The appearance related issues should be contributed to the mediawiki codebase / set of extensions in some way, perhaps contributed to http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Vector where appropriate. We don't want to create an ad-hoc solution just for our wiki.
In the long run, some work on the book production extension might be needed, but that could be a specialist job for somebody from PediaPress.
Ideally we're looking for somebody who has substantial mediawiki development experience already!
Any takers? We'll pay ...
P.S.: Mobile skin for ORBIT would also be a good thing, using the same mechanism as wikipedia.
2012-04-27 | Back to blog|